Monday, October 3, 2011

Getting Curious?

For those waiting with bated breath, de-bate. We still have frogs. Not much has changed on that front. Although I think we have finally gotten the concept across to our landlady. I guess the confusion was somewhere between frogs living with us and frogs living at us. I think the former being our issue. The irony I find is in the herpetology club. They go on walks and are routinely amazed by the frogs they discover. I am thinking about inviting them over as a field trip. But hopping along…

Our landlady does not actually reside in Grenada at present, and so we've been dealing with her proxy. I think I have mentioned her a couple times. She's a very nice lady. We were told not long ago that a new 'official' bill-taker etcetera type person would be coming. She just landed back on the island the other day. We ran into her. She introduced herself as the landlady's name and so we were confused. I assume she knew that we knew that she wasn't exactly who she said she was. She was someone else. It certainly was pretty plainly obvious to us as she drove away from the housethe same house the landlady resides while she is here. It all got sorted today when the first proxy outted the second by introducing her as her actual name. The peculiar bit is that I feel she had no real motive to be someone else. She seems pleasant. I guess it's possible she doesn't like her name. Or perhaps she has always been jealous of our landlady. Perhaps she is stealing her identity. Maybe we are at the very root of a giant Grenadian conspiracy tree. Did I mention we watched the Bourne Ultimatum the other dayit was a good flick. And that lady actually is nice.

We feel pretty secure in our home. We are in one of the nicest neighbourhoods on the island, Lance Aux Epines. SGU has security driving by frequently to deter any unrest or suspicious activity. And lastly, we have an entirely fenced yard with a gate that is locked at all times. By the way, we only have one key to this gate. Typically my student (I don't teach, she just happens to be mine) gives me a quick ring or text as the bus arrives at our stop. I meet her at the gate and let her in. She left her phone at home and today she was left straddling the fence. I can't really surmise how long because I was grooving to my music when I was suddenly disturbed by a rapping at the door. She made it over; she's the only one that can attest to how long I may or may not have left her stranded. I can only imagine what security thought as they passed by. I am guessing she didn't seem too threatening jumping into someone’s yard with a computer, unless of course she was hacking our wireless network in an attempt to unleash a dangerous new computer virus under her hacker alias orca_4219. No, we haven't watched Hackers, or The Net, or basically any movie where the Internet is the focus of the plot recently.

During the summers in BC, one would have to be sure to mow their lawn frequently. Leaving it for a week or two meant a little extra work. Your grass was a little shaggy. I've mentioned the grass here before. I honestly thought it was long at the time. It had been chopped down since. Our field now reminds us of flowing wheat in the prairies. One gets pretty hypnotized staring into it as the wind tosses it back and forth, rippling it like waves on the ocean. It has been about a week and a half since its last buzz cut:
Grass
Trade a wood for a wheat?
On the subject of pictures, I think I want to put it into my daily schedule to be overlooking the beach with my camera at sunset. I was a hair late here, but you can see the tail end of what was an amazing sky:
Grenada Sunset
A typical sunset in Grenada.
Midterms are upon us. Students are studying like mad. You know what they say about medical students though. The more they study, the more they think they have what they are studying. I've felt this first hand whenever I look up my own symptoms online. By my count, I have had lupus at least five times in my life. Fair enough, it happens. I am beginning to find it a little odd when certain veterinary students start diagnosing themselves though. Ninety-nine percent of the time I am sure she just has a hairball or is adjusting to her new food.

Please feel free to comment if there is anything of particular interest you'd like to see featured in any of my posts. I'm not likely to describe the texture of off-brand Cheetos, or driving on the left. This would probably only happen if I were eating said faux-eezies while making illegal right turns at stop signs. I would be happy to talk about pretty well anything else. Often I wonder if readers like to hear about some of the more mundane things like our 1/2 ply toilet paper.


No comments:

Post a Comment